14 June 2012

Crafty online purchase

The internet is not just good for fashion purchases, it's also great for niche products.

With the weather getting cold I'm keen for a craft project to do at night. Since my artistic skills are severely limited, cross stitch kits are as adventurous as I go.

I want to make something that I can hang up in The Royal Bedroom when finished, so I consulted The Duke before making this purchase - a cross stitch kit of Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night, which is one of my favourite paintings.


It looks like a challenge! I wonder how long it'll take to do?

I gave Aussie etailers a chance by searching for it on Google's Australian site, but like most things on internet it is so much more expensive in Australia - $A79 vs £25 from UK etailer Quality Needlecraft. I guess with niche goods it is even more difficult for Australian-based shops to be competitive, the market is just not big enough here, and wholesale prices set by distributors are likely to be prohibitively high.

If any reader is interested I'll post some progress photos of the project on the blog from time to time, it'll give me some motivation to soldier on when it gets tough!