10 April 2012

The great cosmetics ripoff

When it comes to discrepancy between Australian and international prices, make up must be close to, if not at, the top of the list. For instance, a MAC lipstick is $US17 in the US and $A35 here, and Stila's natural finish oil-free makeup costs $US38 compared to $A80 at Mecca.

It's actually worse with pharmacy brands. For instance, Revlon has just released the popular Colorburst lip butter in Australia. It costs $US6.49 at US Target. And how much is the RRP in Australia? $A21.95.


Why is that the case? I can (almost) understand markups of up to 100% - a few years ago $A1 was only worth fifty US cents. [ETA: And good point made by @horrypop on Twitter that US minimum wage ($US7.25) is much lower than Australian minimum wage (around $15)]. But paying 3.5 times for a brand new product when the Aussie dollar is stronger than the US dollar? It doesn't make any sense. I cannot justify paying such an exorbitant price out of principle.

So what's a girl to do? Head to eBay, that's what.

There are many sellers from the US that offer the lipsticks around $13-15 including postage. The sellers make a decent profit even if they purchase the lipsticks at US RRP, and we can get our hands on them at almost 50% off the Australian RRP.

So I'm going to test out the colours at Priceline or Chemist Warehouse and buy them online. I know I'm not the only one. I hope Revlon, L'Oreal, Max Factor and the like realise that we are not fools and know when we're being ripped off, and that price gouging is not a good strategy in the long run.

I rarely buy makeup in Australia anymore. I stock up when I'm overseas or purchase online from places like ASOS (interestingly I've never purchased from StrawberryNet!). How about you? Are you directing more of your makeup purchases online? Will you try a product at a pharmacy or makeup counter then purchase online?

P.S. Priceline is having a "buy one get one free" offer on Revlon lip and nail range from Thursday so I may head there on Thursday morning to have a look. Just goes to show that Revlon and Priceline can sell the product at $11.