4 June 2012

Japan snapshots part 2 - the snacks

I love Japanese food, it's probably my favourite cuisine in the world. So eating was a big part of our trip. Sometimes the day revolved around finding eateries around town :-D

The Japanese loves gimmicky food and there are plenty available at the theme parks.

In Disneyland you can find Mickey shaped muffins and buns that look like Mike Wazowski from Monsters Inc.


There were also Mickey-shaped chicken nuggets and waffles ...



And Universal Studios in Osaka sells Spiderman and Hello Kitty buns.



Japan was not good for my diet - there were so many tempting snacks and street food! Here are a small percentage of what I consumed over there.

"North Pole" green tea ice block for 120 yen (around $1.50) - bargain!

These sultana cakes from Osaka were so eggy and fluffy! It was a shame that the freshly baked ones were sold out by the time we started queuing. By golly I want one now.


Chocolate coated pastry shells filled with cream, sweet potatoes, chocolate etc.


Okonomiyaki or "Japanese pancakes" - not really my cup of tea (too much sauce) but The Duke is a big fan.


Chicken karaage in a cup!


Freshly made red bean/custard cakes. I can eat them all day.


Mochi (rice cakes) from Kyoto.


Takoyaki (squid balls/dumplings).


Hot chocolate from a vending machine - perfect on a cold day!


Unagi on a stick at the Tsukiji fish market.


There are so much to share! I'll talk about meals in another post :-D

I want to take the opportunity to thank Gastronomous Anonymous for a great list of restaurant recommendations. I wish I could've visited them all!