29 February 2012

Mini ASOS haul

I made a small purchase on ASOS last night. The items by themselves are not worthy of a post (although I'll talk about them below), instead I'm going to talk about how I came to purchase those items.

It all started with a tweet.

One of the tweeps I follow (sorry I don't remember who) tweeted a few days ago about the Love At First Blush from Stila at the bargain price of £10 at ASOS.


I clicked on the link, liked it and proceeded to have a look at the rest of their Stila collection. I was pleasantly surprised to see that ASOS now stocks Stila's Natural Finish Oil-Free foundation.


I was tempted to buy it last year but decided against it because Mecca charges $80 for it when it is half that price in the US. ASOS has the foundation for £25 which is much more reasonable. I couldn't remember what shade I tried last time, so on Monday I went to the Mecca counter at Myer Pitt St to colour match. The MUA was lovely and if the price difference wasn't so great I'd be happy to purchase there, but my wallet made the call.

Separately the ASOS leap year 20% off sale campaign is coming at me in all directions (e-mails, tweets, on their website). I succumbed and spent a bit of time over the weekend checking it out. I was very close to buying this dress in a lovely teal colour - it even has The Duke's seal of approval!


It is nice indeed but I didn't go ahead with the purchase because in the runway video the dress was riding up on the model. If it happens to the ultra skinny model, it will not sit well on me at all.

I have been busy at work at this week and last night I decided I need a bit of retail therapy. I had another look at the 20% sale, ummmmed and ahhhhed over a few clothing items but did't find anything. On a whim I went into the jewellery section and found something fun.


TLP is a big fan of Lego and Duplo and I thought he'll get a kick out of them. For £4.50 I can't go wrong.

Before I put the Stila blush into the shopping cart I searched for blog reviews and saw that the blush is lovely in real life.

It didn't feel quite right to submit an ASOS order without clothes so I went to the outlet page in an attempt to score some bargains. I had this dress sitting in my cart for quite a while - after all it's only £12!


It was almost 12am and I decided to make the purchase. Just before I click yes I thought I'll go to the Vogue Forum and see if there are any discount codes. It was a good idea because there is a code for $A20 off purchases over A$100 ("EDGE")! My cart was just under A$100 so I tried to add some more items, then I realised that the code doesn't apply to items on sale.

Falling into the trap of "spend to save", I headed to the full price section. After a whole lot more browsing I chose this simple Warehouse jersey dress.


With the $A20/£12 discount the dress set me back £23 - bargain! With this dress in the shopping cart I removed the purple dress.

Finally, at some ungodly hours I submitted my order with 4 items for £62.17.

So my purchasing decision was influenced by social media, online advertising, blog reviews and online forums. The amount of time I spent online browsing through ASOS catalogue was OTT to be honest, and something that I will not be able to do in real life. Neither could I have made a purchase after midnight.

This is the future of our shopping - anytime, anywhere, for any reason.

Think back to your last online purchase, what led you to press "Submit"?

P.S. You can use code LEAPYEAHOZ to get 10% of all items includng items already on sale. Happy shopping!